Main Roads Western Australia
The Perth-Darwin National Highway will be an important link in the state and national road network, enhancing transport efficiencies between the Perth metropolitan area, the north-west and the Northern Territory.
The national highway currently follows the Great Northern Highway alignment but has limited opportunities for future upgrading to national highway standards. In the coming years, predicted urban growth and other developments in the north east corridor of the Perth metropolitan area and beyond are expected to increase traffic congestion, reduce social amenity and the serviceability of the existing national highway route.
As a result, advanced planning was required for future improvements including the construction of sections of new road and the provision for future bypasses around the Swan Valley area and rural town sites. Therefore,
360 Environmental was commissioned by Main Roads Western Australia (MRWA) to undertake a study to identify risks and potential impacts as part of the formal impact assessment and approvals process.
The NorthLink WA Projects are:
- Swan Valley Bypass – design and construction of a new 37km highway link between the junction of Reid Highway / Tonkin Highway and Great Northern Highway / Brand Highway at Muchea; and
- Tonkin Grade Separations – the grade separation of the intersections of Tonkin Highway with Collier Road, Morley Drive and Benara Road, together with associated works.
360 Environmental provided day-to-day project environmental support to the MRWA project team in relation to approvals strategy, regulator liaison and contract award for the design component of the road. This has included:
- Liaison with the Commonwealth Department of the Environment and State Office of the Environmental Protection Authority; and
- Referral documentation for Commonwealth and State.
Swan Valley Bypass
Managed biological studies for input into the State and Commonwealth approvals process for the Swan Valley Bypass including:
- Level 2 flora and vegetation assessment and reporting;
- Detailed wetland assessment; and
- Groundwater monitoring.
- Scoped future requirements including:
- Level 2 fauna assessment and reporting (for completion by the successful design contractor);
- Targeted Black Cockatoo assessment and reporting (for completion by the successful design contractor); and
- Dieback assessment and reporting (for completion by the successful design contractor).
Tonkin Highway Grade Separations
Preliminary Environmental Impact Assessment, that informed the need for the following environmental studies including:
- Level 1 flora and vegetation assessment and reporting;
- Level 1 fauna assessment and reporting;
- Targeted Black Cockatoo assessment and reporting;
- Preliminary Site Investigation contamination.
The team at 360 Environmental provides environmental management support to industries gaining and managing the environmental approvals they require to construct, maintain, and operate their projects. We offer a variety of services to our clients ranging from environmental approvals, management plans, work approvals and licences.
Contact us for more information
Telephone: +61 8 9388 8360